Wednesday 8 July 2009

Through stalls right, Elbow

I am writing this from a lapton/USB modem set-up, situated about ten feet from the main doorway of the Bridgewater Hall, looking at an empty entrance hall of pillars and glass and listening to the muffled sounds of Elbow and the Halle through the heavy closed doors. The occasional late press member (NME and Sunday Times, bow your heads) power-walks up to me and explains the situation in breathy tones (NME even winces when I tell him the first song is underway), but they get their tickets and wait at the suitable door suitably quietly for entry at a suitable moment. Even the volunteer helping me out has been given a ticket at the very last moment, the image of her gleefully scurring into the hallowed hall leaves a sickening taint on my otherwise brief but pleasant exchange with the young lady.

Slag.

Yes, when my manager asked "How late can you stay?", the idea of getting a freebie wasn't in my mind so I had no reason to lie. My gentle child's face smiled and agreed with vigour when the idea of staying until the interval came up, and I am not entitled to go into the show at all, the whole point being I stay slightly later until half an hour into the show to deal with latecomers etc. But still, hearing the press officer say "who shall we give these tickets too?" whilst she looked around for someone working here who could do her a favour and take the two singles for Elbow and the Halle Orchestra (we don't want gaps that's for sure), as I remained pinned to my desk - a deep burn to be sure.

On a positive note, I do have a delicious packet of Tic Tacs which I can eat with gay abandon out here, something that would be impossible if I was watching the band. And more seriously, I am going to be watching this gig again via live link-up tomorrow evening with a gaggle of good friends, good brew and good food, so all is well.

Please note - Grounds For Divorce was on and sounded immense :)

Bring on tomorrow night.

No comments: